Insurance Claim  Frequently Asked Questions

What is the process for a typical damage repair project?

If you’ve never had to file a property damage insurance claim, you may not have a good handle on just how things work between you, your insurance company and your restoration contractor. We created this download of  “The Process”  as a very basic overview of the process that occurs in a typical damage repair project. There are obviously many different scenarios that might develop due to unique circumstances. However, this is the sequence that typically unfolds.

A water, fire or other damage event happens…

In addition, we offer our Booklet “Getting Back to Normal” with location-specific resources, advice and other helpful information to help put all of the pieces back together after a disaster:

Here are some other FAQ’s and answers that may help:

Is REE-Construction licensed?

REE-Construction is a registered contractor by the State of Idaho (RCE #220).    REE-Construction is Certified by the EPA for Lead Paint RRP (NAT26036-1) and we are also a CleanTrust  (Formerly the IICRC) Certified Firm.

All of our staff has undergone criminal background checks,  we are DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE  participant and we carry an honesty bond for all of our employees.  In addition, many of our staff carry individual industry certifications covering specialties from asbestos identification to water damage restoration.

Do I need to get three estimates for the restoration work after a covered loss?

In the thirty years we have been in the damage restoration business, we have never seen an insurance policy that required the property owner to get competitive bids for damage repair.  These days most insurers and professional restoration contractors use computerized pricing databases to establish the cost for typical repairs, so the idea of competitively priced bids is a bit of an oxymoron.

The most important thing is to hire someone who can correctly and completely establish what needs to be done to return your property to a pre-loss condition.  This usually means a professional restoration contractor.  Once you are comfortable with and have hired your restoration contractor (either of your own choosing or recommended by your insurer), it is typical for them to work out any pricing issues with the insurer, leaving you responsible for your deductible.

Do I have to move out of my house while drying or other repairs are completed?

It is your house and the decision to live in it during drying or other restoration work is ultimately up to you.  There is no doubt that suffering a property damage event can be disruptive. The extent of the damage and the areas affected have a lot to do with how much of an inconvenience you will experience.

If the situation limits your ability to carry out normal activity (e.g., your kitchen can’t be accessed or bathroom(s) are not functioning) your insurance policy may extend coverage for a stay at a hotel or other temporary housing and reimbursement for additional living expenses resulting from the inability to live in your home.  You should talk to your agent or adjuster about this.

Does my insurance company hire a contractor for me?

No, while your insurer may have a contract with a restoration company (usually a national chain), they do not hire the contractor.  You are the one who makes a decision as to who does work on your property.  Unfortunately, some insurers will try and steer you to use a particular company but, you are the one who is responsible to choose the company that works and that company should be responsible to you.

Why would I hire a “restoration” contractor instead of a general contractor?

The process of restoring damage to a home or business property includes many of the same skills as a general contracting company may possess. However, most general contractors do not have experience dealing with the various contaminants that may be associated with damage such as mold or fire damage.

The expertise to properly dry a building is usually a specific skill set of a restoration contractor.  Very seldom does a general contractor have training or experience to deal with the repair or restoration of personal property that goes along with damage restoration projects.  The restoration contractor usually has a broader range of experience in the various aspects of a damage project.

For example, we provide remediation services associated with sewage damage, mold contamination and similar conditions not typically encountered in a normal remodeling or construction project.

disaster restoration, fire damage recovery, Water damage repairsMold remediation